“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”
Robert Frost

Friday, June 10, 2011

Aaaah!!! Cooler Weather Returns...

Now that the heat wave is over here (sorry East Coast folks), I'm getting back to normal. The Weatherman said that the heat changes your body chemistry and I assume that affects the brain too. Guess that's why I have been feeling a little slow to get back into the groove.

While it was 103 degrees outside, I was in my basement mixing up new paper mache. Here are a few pictures of the messy process.


Shredded Paper Soaking
Pulverizing Equipment
Wicked Tool - Keep Fingers Away!



I soak the paper overnight or at least 5 hours, I then use my drill with the handy drywall mixer attachment to pulverize the paper. I then drain it through cheesecloth and squeeze out most of the liquid. I then dump it into a large utility tub and add salt, mouthwash, glycerin, paste and other secret ingredients.

 Mixing it with my hands is a good workout. I can only describe it as something between kneading bread and making meatloaf.
 I then put it in the fridge in a covered container where it can hang out for several weeks without going bad.

 I was going to get pictures of some of that last part too, but I forgot. I did part of the mixing outside and I think my brain was turned off, because of the heat,OK!  Did I mention that the heat makes a person a little cranky?

 Anyway here you go, I know there is nothing at all cute about any of this now. Just wait, something cute will come...


Draining in Cheesecloth Lined Colander


Paper Pulp Base

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

    I'm with you on the heat. All I heard all winter was, "I can't wait til Summer." I heard it from everyone. I live in the Lake Michigan snow belt so we get a LOT of snow. I HATE the heat and humidity!!! I want the happy medium. To me that is 65 to 75 degrees and of course sunny and dry. That's my kind of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniyal (idon'tsew)June 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM

    I was finally able to follow you! I guess the follow button was having issues. Your blog is awesome. I can't wait to see the paper results too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I do read them all and will try to respond if I'm able. Please know that all comments are appreciated, I love to hear your thoughts on my posts! ~ Diane